Nigel No Friends

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Feeling low tonight. I've even had a little cry in the shower. First time I've cried since DH has been away so I think I'm doing pretty well. It's just that I'm feeling lonely and realising that because the majority of my friends don't have babies that I don't really have anyone to do the mummy thing with...

I have 1 friend that lives close by that has a bub who is over 4 months old now. 2 other friends live over an hour away and both have almost 1 year olds. My cousin also lives close by and has 2 and half year old twins but will be moving over 4 hours away soon. And that's it...not one of my other friends have young children (or children at all). 

I want to join a mothers group. You do get linked with one through the Child Health Centre. They let you attend 6 weeks worth of 'classes' on baby related stuff and from there most people form a mothers group...but I couldn't get into any classes until late April!!! April!! What use is that to me now?!?! This was going to be my sure fire way of meeting other mums with similar aged babies...and I get told they can't get me in until April. So I don't even know if I'll be in a class with mums who have babies around the same age or not. Very dissapointed. 

I don't really know how else to meet mums. I'm at a loss and feeling like I'll be spending my entire maternity leave at home on my own, or hanging out with my mum and sister when they are free. 

It was better when DH was home as I wasn't worried about finding other mums. I was happy just to hang out as a little family-the 3 of us. 

So I'm feeling very friendless and the prospect of not having other mums going through similar stuff to talk to is making me feel very blue. 

6 comments:

Greeny said...

Yeeessss... I remember this. If your CHC operates the way they down here then you'll be in the first steps program? We didn't have one starting until Z was 3 months old. I don't really know how I survived before then given all the reflux stuff but somehow it happens. Anyhow, the age gap in the First Steps shouldn't be too much. Z is the oldest and Z's best friend is a month younger. All the rest are in between and the group is a grand total of eight. Having said that, of the eight, there are only two that I see outside of group day and one who is really close. But that's cause her little one had reflux too and "gets it". That and she lives within spitting distance.

The age gap between H and Z & R seems pretty big now but before H is a year old it won't be. I know that is almost impossible for you to see now but I tell you this from experience in the promise that one day you'll be thinking or blogging it.

Until April though, make the most of whoever you do have, whenever you do have. You're not that far away and for us at least, Z is now at an age where a little car time is hardly a challenge anymore. Sure it is easier without him (what isn't?) but I'm free most days to catch up. :-) <3 you.

P.S. I would like to prove I'm not a robot but it would help if the stupid letters were legible.

Greeny said...

P.P.S. I was referring the comment box verification thing and not your blog post lettering. OMG.. Why did I write this? feveral ubmitai? Let's see if that's right.

Greeny said...

P.P.P.S I was right! Yay! I think I'm getting the hang of this. The next one is 517.9 uesbia

Greeny said...

P.P.P.P.S. I'll stop now cause I really gotta go to bed.

Still love you! <3

(Fail... I got the last one wrong)

babycrazykiwi said...

Hugs to you my girl. I wish I could pop round and hang with you and cheer you up!! Although GS going crazy with the comments is pretty funny. I also wish I had some stirling advice but I'm sorry I don't. Here we have generally have antenatal groups which progress through the course together and normally keep in touch after the birth of their babies and become the mother group thing. Take care chick and keep blogging cos I'm listening!

DandelionBreeze said...

Sorry to hear that you're going through this... mother's groups are great and there are often other ones through the local community centre or ask via the council. Or by 6 weeks, I think you can start joining things like Gymbaroo or swimming lesson etc (not 100% sure - but that is my vague memory from when our DD was little). Thinking of you xoxo