Germs!

Monday, June 6, 2011

I've been struck down with a cold. It started yesterday when I woke up with a slightly sore throat and stuffy nose. Usually I would grab my favourite natural cold and flu tablets and strike before the cold takes over...but it's not that simple when you are pregnant!

So much conflicting information about what's safe and what's not so safe to take. It's enough to make your head spin! Everything in my medicine cupboard was saying 'speak to a doctor before using if pregnant' or 'not suitable for pregnant or lactating women'. Right, enough said...won't be touching any of this with a ten foot pole! So off to the chemist...checking out bottles of vitamin supplements and so many which you think would be ok...well they had the same lovely warnings on the bottles as well. In the end I played it safe and just bought some vitamin c tablets. I really don't want to risk taking anything that could have a negative effect on our little one.

So vitamin c, panadol, rest and fresh OJ has been my regime (along with my usual array of meds). By yesterday evening I was feeling somewhat more human and was thinking 'hooray maybe it's not going to get any worse'. No such luck.

Stuffy and runny nose, sore eyes, sore head...though the sore throat has gone. I have spent the day in bed, trying to sleep..though this has proven difficult with someone in the neighbourhood spending the ENTIRE day jack hammering....*insert angry face here*

The worst part of it all is not having DH home. He is always so lovely when I am sick and takes such good care of me. He brings me food and drinks and makes runs to the shops if I want anything in particular (usually this includes lemonade icy poles and soft aloe vera tissues). I think if I wasn't pregnant I wouldn't be so upset over this..but I'm so emotional at the moment so I'm feeling sorry for myself.

I'm not completely alone...our pup has been so sweet and is like my little shadow. He has been sleeping beside me (or on my feet) and even as I type he is snuggled up right beside me on the couch...and I mean RIGHT beside me...he's almost on my lap (no mean feat for a 22kg dog!).

7 comments:

babycrazykiwi said...

Sorry you're feeling under the weather. Hope you feel better soon!

DandelionBreeze said...

Sorry that you're not feeling well.... it's a nightmare being unwell when you're pregnant. Rest up and look after yourself hun xoxo

Mrs BabyDream said...

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Baby Hopes said...

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well. I'd kick your neighbors in the knees if I could. Seriously. Hope your DH is soon home with you!

lostintranslation said...

Ugh, that's no fun. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

JM said...

Feel better!

Kelli said...

Feel better soon my dear!! And pups are good for that...I know my Ernie sleeps right with me when my hubby is away at late hockey games. Hope your DH gets home soon to take care of you. He sounds like my hubby...very caring and loving!