It's a BOY!

Monday, August 22, 2011

Today was morph scan day!!

My mum came with me as DH is away at work. I'm not sure who was more excited-me or her!

As soon as the technician started we saw a wiggling baby and beating heart. Cue sigh of relief.

19w2d-our growing boy


Next she asked if I wanted to find out the sex, and luckily baby obliged by spreading legs nice and wide! There was no denying that HE is most definitely a HE!


For the rest of the scan he was wiggling and kicking and waving and rolling around. The poor technician was struggling to get some of her measurements. At one point I even had to go empty my bladder (oh the relief!!) to try and help move him into a better position. Luckily it worked and she was able to get everything she needed to.

I don't think I could ever get tired of watching my baby up on screen. It was just lovely to watch him moving around, see his heart beating (and hear it), and get a close look at all his tiny little organs. Mum was amazed. She couldn't believe how clear the scan was compared to what she had while pregnant with my sister 22 years ago (she didn't get any scans while pregnant with me). I think she was super excited to see her first grandbaby wiggling around.

Once we finished I called DH and tried to convince him that the baby was actually a girl and that our ob had been wrong. He believed me for about a split second before he realised I was joking. He is over the moon about having a son. The joy in his voice was just beautiful (and I'm sure there would have still been joy if we were having a girl).

The only thing that I am slightly worried about is my placenta. The tech mentioned that it is on the low side and that I will need to come in for another scan at around 34 weeks to check and see if it's moved. She did say that in most cases the placenta has moved by the time ladies come back for the 2nd scan. After some Googling I have found that if the placenta doesn't move up it can lead to 'placenta praevia' which means the placenta covers the cervix. I am trying not to dwell on it now. It does sound like that the majority of the time the placenta rights itself and there are no problems. Will have a discussion with my ob about it next week to hear the professional opinion.

I don't want to leave this post on a downer note, so instead I will share with you all, my 19 week bump.

19 Week Bump

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw congratulations! And what a beautiful bump you have already! Can't believe you're 19 weeks already it's going so fast!

tara @ the every things said...

yayYYY! congrats! i feel like this is going so fast! so happy for you!

Kelli said...

Oh your bump is adorable and Congratulations....yay a boy! Wow...19 weeks already...time flies! Hope you are well!polly

Marissa said...

It sounds like your baby boy is going to be so strong and healthy! Getting lots of practice exercising inside. <3

Babylicious said...

Hurray!! Boys are so much fun :-)

Gurlee said...

Awe, your bump is so cute! Congratulations on your son!!

Just Us & A Miracle Baby too! said...

Cpngrats on your baby boy! I had placenta previa when I was 16 weeks, and it resolved it's self already. I had researched it online and it says that most 2nd trimester placentas change cause the uterus is growing so try not to worry too much. But I was told not to pick up anything over 15 lbs!

lostintranslation said...

Yay for all the good news! I had the same issue with my placenta with my first pregnancy, but it moved up sufficiently, so no problem. I hope it will be the same for you - I think it's quite common.

Unknown said...

Hello! New follower here, I found you on Tara's blog {our journey}. I caught up quickly on your story and just wanted to say how happy I am for you and your soon to be little boy!
Baby boys are the best :) Of course, I may be biased.

Mel said...

yay summa, congrats... and love your bump.