Not just a bad dream

Monday, November 22, 2010

So just when we thought my grandma was out of the woods and we could breathe a little...more bad news.

My sisters partners father was rushed to hospital yesterday morning after having some trouble breathing. He was revived by ambos on the scene and taken to hospital where he flat lined twice. Once they stabilized him they transferred him to the ICU at a bigger hospital here. He went down hill from there. By last night machines were the only thing keeping him alive and the family made the decision to turn them off. Hospital policy wouldn't allow this until the morning, but late last night he slipped away.

I feel so much for his family. It has come so unexpectedly. My sister is a mess. This was pretty much her FIL. I met him a few times. He was a locally bloke. So friendly. He will be dearly missed by so many people.

My sister turned up here this morning. She hadn't been to bed in over 24 hours and hadn't eaten. I fed her and now she's dosing. Her partner is with his mum and sister making phone calls to family...most are overseas so they had to wait until a decent hour to call.

This has been a horrible weekend. I feel like it should have all been a bad dream. But it's real.

I'm feeling stressed and over whelmed. Not the best state of mind to be in when about to start IVF. But then I feel selfish thinking about this now...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I hope your sister and her family is able to find some peace this week. I'm glad you were able to be there for her and the stress was before your IVF.
I hope your able to clear your mind before everything starts for you.

Lauren said...

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with your family!