Reminicising

Friday, November 18, 2011

All the grade 12's finished up school around here today. I've spotted a few driving round in cars with all kinds of stuff written all over the windows and doors. Most of them will be off to 'Schoolies Week' to celebrate finishing their high school careers. Brings back lots of memories. This time 10 years ago, this was me! I cannot believe 10 years has passed since I finished high school. It's weird but it seems like so long ago, yet not that far in the past. I guess I am also thinking about this because next week is our 10 year high school reunion which DH and I will be attending. I'm a little nervous about seeing all these people from my past. I wasn't the most popular girl in school, but I wasn't at the bottom of the social scale either. Somewhere in between. There are people that I am excited to see, but others who I would rather avoid. I suppose it will be an interesting night, to say the least. I figure pregnancy is always a good excuse for leaving early if I am having a particularly horrible time!!

Adding to my walk down memory lane..this time 9 years ago, I met my DH. I had just had my 18th birthday a few weeks before. A friend offered to take me out (and her BF at the time lived at DH's place) and said we could stay at the BF's place (which was close to all the night clubs/pubs). We turned up there early evening to get ready and head out and there was DH arriving home from work. He was an apprentice mechanic back then so was wearing his overalls and was covered in grease. I won't say it was love at first sight but it was definitely like. He ended up coming out with us and vied for my affections...he bought me drinks, danced with me and was generally just a nice guy that night. We ended up spending the entire weekend together, and that was pretty much it. I was his and he was mine. 

Then this time 1 year ago, I was gearing up for our first IVF cycle. I was also dealing with the birth of SIL's first child and my grandmother being admitted to hospital after a very horrific afternoon which was pretty much the beginning of the end for her. What a difference a year can make. 

And here we are today. 
Almost 32 weeks pregnant with our little FET miracle, SIL's child is turning 1 tomorrow, and my grandmother has been gone for over 4 months. Christmas is rapidly approaching and it really doesn't feel like almost a year has passed since I got my first BFP. It's also hard to believe that in less than 2 months we will hold our own baby in our arms. Something we have been waiting for since we started TTC back in August 2009.

So while life has thrown us a few curve balls along the way, it's all falling into place, piece by piece.

2 comments:

Baby Hopes said...

Wow... what an awesome look back! And I agree... a year makes all the difference in the world. You've been through so much in the past year. I'm so grateful that your little one will be in your arms soon!!!

DandelionBreeze said...

It's always amazing to think about things in the past... love how you met :) I saw some schoolies last week and was also thinking about when I went to schoolies week - 20 years ago !! I'm sure Surfers P has changed a bit since then and our schoolies week was pretty innocent compared to what they must do nowadays !! Not long now until your darling miracle arrives xoxo